Independent Support (support available during EHC plan process only)

What is an Independent Supporter?

  • individuals that are recruited and deployed by the private, voluntary and community sector or via the Parent Partnership Service (now known as Information, Advice and Support Services);
  • there to provide advice and support for parents of children with SEN, and young people with SEN, through the EHC processes;
  • there to work alongside parents by offering a range of time-limited support such as liaison across different agencies and advice on personal budgets;
  • there to offer support that can be tailored to the particular needs of individual parents and young people;
  • to act on behalf of the parent and young person and independent from the local authority